Plant-based living - it's something that we're hearing pop up more and more everyday. It's a lifestyle choice, and one that's growing faster than a jungle vine! So it had us thinking, why are so many people making the switch? The truth is, no what way you break it down, dissect and look at it, plant-based is simply a movement towards a better, greener and healthier way of living. Read more...
It's not a one shoe fits all diet solution, or jump on a bandwagon style fad, it's a shift in awareness, diet, and lifestyle that has so many people hooked because of it's profound health benefits. It's a foundation of living aimed at a future of health benefits, that we need to fight for to reduce disease and cancer.
By no means are we insinuating for everyone to jump on an ALL plant based diet straight away, or give up everything you love like a sneaky chocolate cookie, but it does start to bend and shape some important thoughts about how your living, but most importantly what you throwing into your mouth each day.
1. PLANT POWERED OR PLANT BASED MEANS A NUMBER OF THINGS: A plant-based diet is a diet based on foods derived from plants, including vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes and fruits, but with few or no animal products. The use of the phrase has changed over time, and examples can be found of the phrase "plant-based diet" being used to refer to vegan diets, which contain no food from animal sources, to vegetarian diets which include eggs and dairy but no meat, and to diets with varying amounts of animal-based foods, such as semi-vegetarian diets which contain small amounts of meat.
2. YOUR BODY WILL THANK YOU:
There are profound health benefits of focusing your diet towards a more plant based outcome. This includes all the key vitamins, nutrients, minerals, proteins, carbs and good fats that make your body sing everyday. Less fat, less starchy carbs, and less sugar. You might even shed a few pounds too! The best part is that you're fuller for longer too!
3. THE ENVIRONMENT WILL THANK YOU:
Yes it's true the planet cannot keep up with the production of meat needed to feed the world! It takes far more resource and damage to produce meat, and we are starting to see the effects on our planet. Do you know how many litres of water it takes to produce a burger? 2,400! Look all were saying is that from time to time there's nothing wrong with having some meat, but maybe we don't need to consume meat twice a day! Perhaps it's meat free Monday or only 2 serves of red meat a week.
Maybe you just need to swap a beef patty to a veggie one a few times a month?
4. YOUR MIND WILL THANK YOU:
Eating a more plant based diet has profound effects on your mental health including a stable mental state. This mean an increase in focus, clarity and a reduction in anxiety, depression due to reduction in carcinogenic foods, sugars and processed food additives. What you put in is what you get out remember that! It's a no brainer! Get it?
5. YOUR WALLET AND KID WILL THANK YOU:
Going part plant-based not only helps your health, the environment but your wallet too. Why? Well fuelling up on the good natural stuff like veggies and fruits and lean minimal meats means a serious reduction in sickness! Food is medicine. Stop draining the health system, and eat better you'll save money on health bills, medicine but also have more time to spend with your kids and live an active lifestyle.
6. A CULTURAL & BEHAVIOURAL SHIFT IS HERE TO STAY:
There is a serious cultural shift happening, vegan food is now mainstream and so is plant-powered. We think there there is true power in using food to help reduce diseases, both physically and mentally, and the best part is that society knows it too! Looks like the change we want to see is well in motion!
Want some Inspo?
Food: Grill'd - Better way to eat your greens
Instagram: Plant Proof